Monday, December 29, 2008

Chapter One - Part Two

Abbie walked through the apartment door, Megan following behind, both girls threw their book bags on the carpeted floor. Megan placed her keys on the bookcase next to the entrance and stepped out of her Vans. Abbie called out to Karen, "We're home."

Karen walked out of her room and down the hallway while pulling a sweater over her full curly hair. Adjusting the arm sleeves, "Hey Ms. Smitten, tell me more about your mystery lover. I'm intrigued." Karen flopped down on the couch watching her sister rifle through the mail on the bookcase, still standing in the doorway.

Megan walked into the kitchen and called back, "Who's your mystery lover? Why was I not filled in on this situation?" She began going through the cupboards looking for a clean glass.

Abbie began to blush and tried to change the subject, "Why is it freezing in here? Didn't I tell you to turn on the heat?"

"No no no, don't do that. I'll turn on the heat, but you have to fill us in on the guy you stopped the earth for to call me about," replied Karen while she got up from the couch and walked back into the hallway. Adjusting the temperature, "So did you even talk to him?"

"I didn't. I just seen his head. The back of his head and his profile. When he stood up to get off the bus I almost got off with him," Abbie explained while fiddling with an envelope. Still standing in the doorway Abbie took of her shoes. Walking over to the love seat, she picked up a hair tie from off the coffee table. Sitting down on the couch, Abbie pulled her hair back into a ponytail and continued, "I need to get my car fixed, but I don't have the money right now. I'm going to have to keep taking the bus till I get paid. Who knows maybe I'll see him again."

Megan sat down next to Abbie, sipping soda from her glass. "I can take you to work if I'm not working, and I can pick you up on my way to our classes."

"No, it's OK. I mean if I take the bus I might run into him again. He must live somewhere near here because otherwise why would he have been on the bus?"

"True. But, I'm here if you need me."

"Thanks. What time is it?" Abbie asked checking her jean pockets for her cellphone.

"About a quarter to two," Megan answered squinting at the time on the stereo across the living room.

"I have to be at work by three. I better get a move on if I'm going to make it on the bus," Abbie said while running to her room to change into her work clothes.

Karen watched Abbie scurry into her bedroom, "Are you really going to take the bus everywhere?"

"If it will help me see Mystery Man again. Then yes."

In her bedroom, Abbie stood in front of the mirror changing shirts. She worked at a pet store in the mall for the last 9 months and she loved it. When she first moved to the area the previous summer looked for a job for nearly two months before coming across her dream job. Abbie loved working with people and had a passion for helping animals. When she was younger she wanted to become a veterinarian, but the moment she found out she would have to put animals to sleep, she quickly changed her mind. Abbie had to wear a black shirt, jeans, and a bright green apron as her uniform. She had several dozen black shirts to wear, but since she had Mystery Man on her mind Abbie decided on a tight black 3/4 sleeve top with low cut neckline. She put on her tightest jeans and walked out of her room and into the bathroom across the hall.

Applying makeup in the mirror she thought to herself, 'What am I doing? I might never see this guy again. He probably only took the bus once. What are the chance of him being on my bus again in the same day?'

"Hey Abs, I'm taking off. Are you sure you don't want a ride?" Megan called from the living room.

"It's ok. I'm going to take the bus. Thanks anyways." Abbie called back while brushing her hair.

She came into the living room where her sister was still sitting on the couch reading over a magazine. "How do I look?" She asked while fidgeting with her hair some more.

Karen glanced up from her magazine, "You look fine. A little too dressed up to play with puppies. But, other than that you look like Abbie."

"Thanks. I'm going to have Megan bring me home after work. I'll see you then."

Abbie walked out into the crisp fall air. Briskly walking to the bus stop she kept thinking to herself, 'I wonder if I'll ever see him again.'

No comments:

Post a Comment